iRest® Yoga Nidra Level 1 Training
April 21-25, 2023 The Art and Science of Integrative Restoration
iRest® Yoga Nidra has been developed over the past thirty years by Richard Miller, PhD, a clinical psychologist, author, researcher and yogic scholar, and is uniquely suitable for a Western audience. Extensive research has shown that iRest® effectively supports the healing process across a broad range of populations. Currently, there are iRest® programs in military hospitals across the U.S., as well as in correctional facilities, hospices, clinics, schools, and organizations supporting personal growth and well-being. In June of 2010, iRest® was endorsed by the US Army Surgeon General and Defense Centers of Excellence as a complementary and alternative medicine (CAM).
Certified iRest® Teacher and Senior iRest® Trainer and Supervisor
I hold masters degrees in both Clinical Social Work and Education and have worked in a variety of therapeutic and educational settings over the past 35 years. I served as the Director of the Therapeutic Yoga Program at Circle Yoga in Washington, DC. I began teaching iRest® at the Washington DC VA Hospital as part of the Integrated Health and Wellness Program 15 years ago. I have observed firsthand the benefits of iRest® as an adjunctive treatment for alleviating the symptoms of PTSD, Substance Abuse, Anxiety, Depression, and Chronic Pain. In addition to my work at the VA, I am a founding partner of Warriors at Ease, whose mission is to train yoga and meditation teachers, to work in military communities. My intention is to weave together my years of clinical experience with the mind/body practices of yoga and meditation in order to empower and support people in living a more calm and balanced life.
REQUIRED reading and listening:
Richard Miller, Yoga Nidra: A Meditative Practice for Deep Relaxation and Healing (book with audio CD).
RECOMMENDED reading and listening:
iRest Program for Healing PTSD – Book
iRest Program for Healing Meditations with Richard Miller (audio recordings)
Integrative Restoration—iRest: The Principles and Practice of Yoga Nidra (6-volume audio recording)
iRest at Ease with Richard Miller (audio recording) or iRest at Ease with Kelly Boys (audio recording)
Resting in Stillness (audio recording)
Level I: Basic iRest® Training
PLEASE NOTE: In order to receive a certificate of attendance designating you as a Level I Teacher-in-Training you must arrive on time every day and attend all training sessions.
SpringHill Suites Fayetteville Fort Bragg
4750 Lake Valley Drive
Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA, 28303
Schedule: April 21-25, 2023
Tuition: $1495 Earlybird (Available until March 21, 2023) / $1595 Regular
(Includes a comprehensive manual.)
In this Level 1 Training, you will learn:
The core principles and practice of iRest® meditation.
How to use iRest® for your personal practice.
How to teach and deliver iRest® simply yet effectively in group and individual settings.
Following the Level 1 Training, you will:
Join a global community of teachers teaching iRest® in yoga studios, sleep clinics, rehabilitation and healthcare facilities, hospice, prisons, universities, schools, as well as in private practice.
Be able to list yourself on the IRI website as a Level 1 Teacher in Training.
Be able to access our “Teacher Resources” and our “Teachers Community Network” for further personal and professional support.
Be recommended by IRI to people seeking iRest® teachers in their local area.
iRest® programs are typically taught as a guided meditation. Students can expect to lie down or sit comfortably during the practice.
The Level I Training is designed to provide you with the basic principles, history, theory, practice and delivery of iRest®. This will allow you to incorporate the simple 10-step iRest® protocol into your personal life, professional teaching or clinical practice. The protocol has been designed for use in various settings that include a personal practice, yoga environments, physical therapy, massage therapy, social work, clinical and medical settings, alternative or integrative medical practices as well as in-job training and job resiliency programs.
What is included:
The iRest® Level I Training introduces you to the historical context and path of meditation in which iRest® is embedded and provides you with an:
- Understanding of Eastern and Western psycho-spiritual perspectives that form the path of meditation and iRest®.
- Understanding of the evidence-based research showing the efficacy of iRest® and its use with different psycho-physical issues and populations.
- Understanding of iRest® within the context of meditation.
- Understanding of the teacher-student relationship, teaching issues and ethical considerations.
- Teaches you the Ten Steps of iRest®.
- Introduces and teaches you to use iRest® for your personal practice.
- Teaches you how to teach iRest® to groups and individuals in order to provide simple yet highly effective delivery of iRest® in group and individual settings.
- Provides you the opportunity to participate in group lectures and peer discussion groups.
- Provides you the opportunity to receive and participate in multiple iRest® experiential group and one-on-one practice sessions.
Level I iRest® Attendees are eligible to:
- Refer to yourself as an ‘iRest® Level 1 Teacher’. You may also indicate that your teachings are “Informed by the teachings of Richard Miller and/or the iRest® Institute (IRI).”
- Be listed on the IRI website as a having attended the Integrative Restoration Institute’s iRest® Level I Training.
- Post your personal profile on the IRI website, listing yourself as “Attended Level I iRest Training.” This posting will allow people who are seeking iRest® group or individual sessions in their local area to find your name and view your qualifications as a provider of these sessions.
- Audit Level I Trainings at reduced rates.
- Utilize private mentoring from IRI Certified Mentors (additional fees apply).
- Access the valuable “iRest® Teacher’s Resource Webpage” to download iRest® teaching materials and professionally designed promotional brochures, flyers, and more!
- Join the iRest® “Teacher’s Community Network” (TCN) (additional fees apply).